Contributors:

Jessica, Jennifer, Cassie, Jason & Carston Cowley

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Beni-imo

Beni-imo is type of sweet potato that is grown in Okinawa. Jessica's class went on a field trip to a farm in Yomitan to dig up some beni-imo. Mom went along to chaperone. Eleven classes of about 20 kids each gathered to dig up sweet potatoes! It was craziness, but the kids loved it. Jessica got a huge bag full. What am I going to do with all of those sweet potatoes?
After the farm, they headed down to the Army base- Torii Station (we've posted pictures from the beach on Torii a time or two) to eat lunch and jump in the bouncy houses. Count them- three bouncy houses- for how many kids? Good thing they had a play ground and swing set, as well!
Jessica's class.
So here's what the beni-imo look like baked potato style:
Now look inside:
Can you believe the color? They taste pretty good. I still have to doctor them up a little with butter or whatever. I mashed some up and mixed them with whole milk and brown sugar to eat with our thanksgiving leftovers. They were pretty good. Even Jason like them; and he's not much of a sweet potato fan.
The Okinawans do a lot of cool things with beni-imo, including making yummy pastries and-
that's right, ice cream. And it's actually really good ice cream. The girls loved it. Jessica's teacher sent home some beni-imo recipes. We tried the cake recipe. I was disappointed that it didn't come out as bright purple as the pastries and ice cream. In fact, it was kind of a sickly putty gray. The girls didn't like the cake so much. Jason and I felt like it was okay, but since we are trying to watch what we're eating, we decided the cake wasn't worth the calories. We sent the leftovers to Jason's work. His co-workers said it was delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment